Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Will we wait until it is too late?

If anyone knows me well, knows that I am in love with Grey's Anatomy, then next comes Private Practice. I have been watching re-runs of Season 2 and 3 of Grey's during my downtime. I am in love with Kate Walsh's character, Addison, she is amazing. She has been through a lot, and is truly an admirable person.

In this episode that I am watching, she runs off to LA to try to get pregnant. She has reached a point in her life, where she has reached a high point in her career, she is done with the men in her life and now she wants change. She believes a baby is the answer. Now, it is too late. She is not fertile enough to have a child.

It makes me think about my career goals. I know I want to be successful, there are many goals I want to accomplish in my lifetime. I have stated before that maybe I wont have a family, or I don't want kids. In all reality, it is tremendously hard for a mother to continue on with the careers that they want without making sacrifices.

Are we willing to make these sacrifices? As we strive to reach equality with men, are our career goals more important than our personal and family goals? Should we put having a family aside in order to achieve our dreams?

I dream of a family, with a house, with a husband, two kids and a dog. I dream of being a CEO of a multibillion dollar company, I dream of making a change in global and domestic policies, I dream of being a US Secretary of Treasury. Is it possible to have it all? Yes, there are women who have demonstrated its possible. However, there is always doubt if you could be that woman who can demonstrate that too.

No comments:

Hunger

...hungry for emotional stability
...hungry for success.
Hunger is a strong or compelling desire or craving.
I desire....
...love.
...good health.
...passion.
But when I achieve this, will I still be hungry?