"Wow" is the response from all of my friends when watching the news last night when headlines stated "Senator Barack Obama is the 44th President-Elect of the United States of America". I can admit this is a wonderful stride for minorities across the world, we would of never thought we would of seen this day in a world full of hatred and racism. My friend stated, Martin Luther King Jr. is turning in his grave, he would of never thought we would of seen a Black president during the lifetime of his children. I believe Obama has the qualifications to change the United States and repair the damage that President Bush has made, but as far as eliminate racism, I still feel we have a long way to go.
I think education goes a long way. We need more programs in schools educating our students on multiculturalism in order to help reduce racism and prejudice. It is a wonderful thing to have a Black man in the White House, but I have friends that think how is this going to affect me personally. I don't want us to assume or think that things will definitely getting better for blacks or eliminate injustices. Hopefully, Obama in this high position will inspire the many minorities who feel like they can't reach there dreams or like to use the constant line, the white man is holding us down, and try to succumb and overcome. Hopefully this will inspire the citizens living in poverty and little/no education to strive and dare to want more.
Yes, we need change in the governing in our country, but we also need change in the minds of minorities, that this is the opportunity to achieve the most and go after we want. Especially without the misconceptions that Obama will change and make things better for Blacks. Once there is a change in our mind sets there there will definitely be a change in our country.
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hunger
...hungry for emotional stability
...hungry for success.
Hunger is a strong or compelling desire or craving.
I desire....
...love.
...good health.
...passion.
But when I achieve this, will I still be hungry?
...hungry for success.
Hunger is a strong or compelling desire or craving.
I desire....
...love.
...good health.
...passion.
But when I achieve this, will I still be hungry?

No comments:
Post a Comment