Sunday, November 16, 2008

Miss Independent....or really?

It seems as now we are moving into an era of the independent women. Women are taking big strides in life and are no longer the unseen voice behind the man. Independence brings out a sense of confidence, security within one's self. I honestly feel that it is a good thing to be independence.

I would like to consider myself as an independent women, someone who has "got her own" as Ne-Yo would put it. My tuition is paid with the help of educational grants. My off campus is paid for with my hard work. My parents seldom help pay for my education and housing while I am in Binghamton. I work hard, and I know the meaning of money, I try to pay all of my bills on time, and try not to shop too frivolously, even though at times this may be hard to accomplish. In my life, I've developed a sense of independence my senior year in high school. I had more responsibility, both academically and financially, and I felt like I couldn't depend on anyone but myself in order to get the job done. At that time, I didn't have much to do with my money, I didn't have any bills to pay, just minor obligations such as paying for my prom limo, dress and ticket, and simply fill up my gas tank every week and treat my car to weekly car washes. But, now it is entirely different, I have monthly rent, utilities bill, school organization dues as well as my credit card payments. No more Mommy and Daddy giving me money for food, now I have to make my own trips to the grocery market. Don't get me wrong, at the end of the month I like it, because a sense of accomplishment overwhelms me. Now a days, everyone is praising the independent women, and others strive to get there, making accolades that women of the early 20th century would of never think of, but does our independence make our confidence too high? When is dependence acceptable?

When we are so used to doing things for ourselves, we then become more hesitant to ask for help when we most need it. Why is that? We should have family and loved ones who are there for us when we fall, there to give a helping hand. So when is it acceptable to be dependent, when you need help the most, ie. personal problems, need assistance with school work, even relationships. For me, I have a hard time realizing that dependence is ok, and not frowned upon. Being independent, can sometimes enhance defensiveness, por ejemplo, you may think you are too good to receive help from anyone. Yea its good to be miss independent, but when there is no dependence, especially in a relationship, it won't work smoothly at all.

I would like to end with this, be happy of all of the accomplishments you've made, but remember everything can not be done by yourself! This is a lesson that I would like to share, and also one I am still learning to do.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i like this entry. You make a very valid point. Yes we are free to be independent women but we're not an island!

Everyday Jane Dope. said...

Well i'll be honest, I am the furthest thing from independent. For one, why should i CHOSE to be independent when within the next 2 or 3 years, i will HAVE to be. My mother used to always say, "You think you're a big woman, where you racing to?" And it makes perfect sense to me now that i've matured. What's the big rush, we have the rest of our lives to proclaim our independence, indulge in the pampering for as long as it lasts. I suggest you take the 25 dollars for the wash and set and keep the change from the groceries,. Don't hesitate to ask for the ride to tonight's venue and most importantly, kiss them goodnight or goodbye. That cushion won't be there forever. call me a user if you want, but im chillin' :)
Great post btw.

Hunger

...hungry for emotional stability
...hungry for success.
Hunger is a strong or compelling desire or craving.
I desire....
...love.
...good health.
...passion.
But when I achieve this, will I still be hungry?